HISTORY OF THE BARONY
Blazon: Gules, a standing seraph affronty proper, winged Or, haloed of a laurel wreath proper.
Baronial Colors: Gules (red) and Or (gold).
The Barony of Angels has a long and memorable history within the SCA. Angels is proud to be the "A" in Caid, and as such was one of four original baronies of Caid, along with Calafia, Isles, and Dreiburgen, from which the Kingdom name was derived. Established on September 6, 1970, it initially encompassed the greater Los Angeles Basin (including the South Bay and Long Beach), Orange County, Ventura
County, Santa Barbara, and San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. Over the years, the Barony gave birth to the Baronies of Lyondemere, Dun Or, Gyldenholt and Altavia. The current territory includes the original lands minus those areas
formed out of the original holding.
The Baronage of the Angels
- Pwyll pen Tyrhon & Rhiannon of the Mystic Isles (June 1970 - May 1971; Jan 1972 June 1972)
- Sárkányi Gero (Vicar, May 1971 Jan 1972, while Baron Pwyll was out of the Kingdom; then member
of the Regents Council June 1972 Jan. 1973. Baron, Jan. 1973- May 1974)
- Piers Howells de Cambria & Ximena Aubel de Cambria (May 1974 Jan 1978)
- Frederick of Woodlyn & Lyndia of Woodlyn (Jan 1978 - Nov 1978)
- Damon of the Lake that Flames & Mistral de l'Isle sur Tarn (May 1979 - Nov 1982)
- Taliesin d'Acre & Kerridwen de Merioneth (Nov 1982 - June 1985)
- Morgan of Marionwood (March 1987 - Dec 1987) & Alinor Bellissima Montgomery (Mar 1987 - June 5, 1993)
- Padraic Fraochdha Idheach & Morgana Elisabetta Rosatti (June 5, 1993 Sept 6, 1997)
- Robert John of Cedar Wood & Therese of the White Griffin (Sept 6, 1997 - Sept 6, 2003)
- Jason Thomas the Wanderer & Morgaine FitzStephen (Sept 6, 2003 - Sept 13, 2008)
- John ap Griffin & Flavia Beatrice Carmigniani (Sept 13, 2008 - Jan 14, 2012)
- Peter Cadarn & Gabrielle Nicole Devereaux nicChlurain (Jan 14, 2012 - Sept 12, 2015
- Uilliam mór MacGregor & Fara MacGregor (Sept 12, 2015 - present)
Recommendations for Baronial awards should be sent to .
Anyone may write a recommendation for any fellow Caidan for any Kingdom award. To recommend Kingdom level awards, visit http://royals.sca-caid.org/awards/recs.php for information about writing recommendation letters to Their Majesties. Please send a copy to when you send a letter about a member of Angels, so that they can add their tuppence.
ANNUAL BARONIAL CALENDAR
Over the years, the Barony of the Angels has hosted many Kingdom including 12th Nights, Coronations, Crown Tournaments, various Queens Champion Tournaments, sessions of the Collegium Caidis and the Make-a-Wish Tournament, in addition to its regular events, which include:Angels Melee Tourney, which usually occurs in January, is a warm-up for the tourney season and Estrella War.
Robin Hood Archery Tourney is held in early spring. This archery, rapier and thrown weapons event celebrates the Robin Hood legend.
Voyagers May Day was an annual celebration of May Day (the 1st day of the SCA year),
hosted by the now-dormant College of the Voyagers (Caltech).
Angels Anniversary is usually held in September to celebrate the Barony's founding. Various baronial champions (Armored Combat, Rapier, and the Arts & Sciences.) Traditionally, officers and court positions are passed to the new holders.
Yule Celebration is the Barony's traditional winter holiday celebration, held in December. The Seraph Bard is determined at this event.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE BARONY
Visit the Barony's page on the Compendium Caidis